China tells some priests they can’t celebrate funerals in people’s homes

In the eastern province of Zhejiang, the government has put in force a set of regulations on centralized funeral arrangements, which bans priests from attending funeral prayers out-side a religious place, reported ucanews.com. The government claims the new rules aim to “get rid of bad funeral customs and establish a scientific, civilized and economical way of funerals.”

“Clerical personnel are not allowed to participate in funerals” at homes and “no more than 10 family members of the deceased are allowed to read Scriptures or sing hymns,” the rules state.

The new rules began to take effect recently, although enacted on Dec. 1, said a Catholic in Wenzhou Diocese in Zhejiang. The regulations strictly ban “religious activities outside religious places, so the priest will not be able to hold funeral prayers outside the church,” he told ucanews.com.

Huang Jian, also of Wenzhou, told ucanews.com priests could visit parishioners’ homes but could not conduct any religious ceremonies or prayers.

A priest identified only as Father Guo of Henan province said government officials have asked priests to strictly follow the new regulations on religious affairs. “Otherwise there would be penalties. The punishment could even be closing the church and canceling the priest’s priesthood certificate, letting the priest go home,” he said. But Father Peter Lee, a priest in eastern Shandong, told ucanews.com that government instructions had not come to him so far. “I still hold sacraments at the homes of dead parishioners. I sent a greeting to a church member from home to the cemetery. No one blocked it,” he said on Jan.30. “As a priest, we need to accompany church members to make them feel like everyone is a family. Particularly, baptisms and funerals are very important for families.”

Prosecutors drop sedition charges against Philippine bishops

Philippine prosecutors have exonerated four Catholic bishops charged with plotting to overthrow President Rodrigo Duterte and his administration.

The Justice Department dropped the charges, saying there was no evidence supporting police claims that the bishops intended to commit seditious acts.

The accused bishops were Archbishop Socrates Villegas, Bishop Pablo Virgilio David, Bishop Honesto Ongtioco and Bishop Teodoro Bacani, retired prelate of Novaliches. Charges against Father Robert Reyes and La Salle Brother Armin Luistro were also dismissed.

Charges were, however, filed against Jesuit priest Albert Alejo and Divine Word priest Flaviano Villanueva and nine others for their involvement in the alleged plot to oust the president.

Bishop David of Kalookan said he was “both happy and sad” about the decision.

He said that while he welcomed the dropping of charges against him and the other church leaders, he was sad that prosecutors “found probable cause to indict the two priests.”

“I still hope and pray that the charges against them will also be dismissed soon by the courts,” he said in a post on social media.

The bishops’ conference earlier described the charges against the four Catholic bishops the priests, and several government critics as “beyond belief.”

Father Reyes said the charges were “a desperate move to suppress dissent.”

“The move is obviously meant to scare the hell out of these churchmen and eventually silence them,” said Father Jerome Secillano, chairman of the public affairs office of the bishops’ conference.

The charges stem from the release of a video that went viral on several social media last year that linked Duterte and his family to the illegal drug trade.

RSS leader slams Church for ‘exploiting and converting’ people

RSS general secretary Suresh ‘Bhaiyyaji’ Joshi on Feb. 9 accused the Church of exploiting and converting people to Christianity by taking advantage of their “ignorance and poverty.”

Stating that he had no objection if someone embraces Christianity on his own, Joshi said that forcible religious conversion of people should be considered a criminal offence.

The RSS leader was speaking during a question-answer session as part of his lecture session ‘Vishwaguru Bharat’ in Panaji. “If someone on his own understands Christianity and accepts it, then well and good. But you should not take advantage of someone’s ignorance or poverty by way of exploiting and converting them,” Joshi said. “This is not right. We oppose it. We have no reason to oppose someone accepting Christianity on his accord,” he said. He said that several NGOs working in the fields of water conservation and forest protection are soon followed by the Church.

‘No case of love jihad in Kerala’: Centre tells Parliament

There is no case of “love jihad” in Kerala, the Centre said in Parliament in response to a question about whether the government was aware of the observation of Kerala High Court on the issue. The Union ministry of home affairs made the remarks in a written reply to a question by Congress leader from Kerala, Benny Behanan, whether any of the central agencies have reported any case of love jihad from the southern state during the last two years. “The term ‘Love Jihad’ is not defined under the extant laws. No such case of ‘Love Jihad’ has been reported by any of the central agencies,” junior home minister G Kishan Reddy said in the reply.

Bishop stresses young Catholics’ duty to Church, society

Bishop George Pallipparambil of Miao on February 4 reminded young Catholics that they are the “now” of the Church called to serve society and the nation.
“In every state we have had some heroes and heroines who stood against all odds for the growth of the Church in this region. We need such people today more than ever in our sociopolitical context,” the Salesian prelate told the general body meeting of the North East Regional Youth Council held at Social Forum, Guwahati.

Pastor apologizes for words ‘hurtful to Muslims’ in homily on immigration

A Minnesota pastor has apologized after remarks he made about Muslim immigration and Islam being “the greatest threat in the world” sparked controversy. “My homily on immigration contained words that were hurtful to Muslims. I’m sorry for this,” said Father Nick Van Den Broeke, pastor of Immaculate Conception in Lonsdale, which is south of the Twin Cities, in the Archdiocese of St Paul and Minneapolis. “I realize now that my comments were not fully reflective of the Catholic Church’s teaching on Islam,” he said in a Jan. 29 statement. In a homily Van Den Broeke gave on Jan. 5, the feast of the Epiphany and, in Minnesota, Immigration on Sunday, he acknowledged the complexity of immigration as a political issue and that the Bible challenges Catholics to “welcome strangers.”

Pompeo announces new alliance for religious freedom

A new International Religious Freedom Alliance with 27 member states was announced by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Pompeo said that the alliance would include “like-minded partners who treasure, and fight for, international religious freedom for every human being.” According to the alliance’s official description, it “will advocate for freedom of religion or belief for all, which includes the right of individuals to hold any belief or none, to change religion or belief and to manifest religion or belief, either alone or in community with others, in worship, observance, practice and teaching.” Twenty-seven countries have signed on as members of the alliance—Albania, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, The Gambia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Senegal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Togo, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

30,000 attend grand Catholic assembly in Mangaluru

The grand assembly of Catholics in Mangaluru region on February 2 drew more than 30,000 people from three rites who reiterated their allegiance to India and its Constitution while asserting their Christian faith.

Bishops and Catholics belonging to the Latin, Syro-Malabar and Syro-Malankara rites attended the rally that show cased the community’s unity and strength in the region.

German lay leader condemns cardinal for opposing ‘synodal way’

A leading lay Catholic in the German city of Cologne has openly condemned his own archbishop for voicing concerns over the ongoing “binding synodal process” underway in the country. Tim Kurzbach, chairman of the Diocesan Council of Catholics in the Archdiocese of Cologne issued a public denunciation of Cardinal Rainer Woekli, accusing the cardinal of “destroying the authority of his episcopal office” by failing to support the so-called “synodal way.”

The statutes for a “synodal way” were formally adopted by the German bishops’ conference in September last year, despite repeated warnings and interventions from the Pope Francis and the curia. The two-year process proposes to debate and reform issues of universal Church teaching and discipline, including clerical celibacy, Church-approved blessings for same-sex couples, and the sacramental ordination of women.

Germany’s synodal assembly a step to rebuilding church’s credibility

Catholic leaders in Germany have compiled responses from lay Catholics in areas related to who holds power in the church, sexual morals, the role of priests and the place of women in church offices in preparation for an upcoming Synodal Assembly to debate church reforms. More than 940 suggestions and questions had been submitted by early January in advance of the Jan. 30-Feb. 1 assembly in Frankfurt, reported KNA, the German Catholic news agency.

The Synodal Assembly is one segment of the synodal path, which the German bishops agreed to stage at their annual meeting last March.

The Synodal Assembly will include 230 members. It is the highest decision-making body of the synodal path, an effort by the bishops’ conference and lay Central Committee of German Catholics to restore trust following a September 2018 church-commissioned report that detailed thousands of cases of sexual abuse by Catholic clergy over six decades.

Comments will continue to be accepted through Jan. 23 at the website of the German bishops’ conference. The bishops and the lay group are collaborating in planning the Synodal Assembly. During a September plenary meeting, the bishops approved statutes to guide discussions at the assembly.

The bishops’ conference and the committee each will send 69 members to the assembly. Decisions of the assembly must be passed by a double two-thirds majority: two-thirds of all participants as well as two-thirds of all members present from the bishops’ conference.

German church officials say the Synodal Assembly is not meant to be a Synod in the classic sense.

In describing the synodal path, KNA reported that the inclusion of the term synodal in the name of the reform process reflects that the dialogue, initially limited to two years, is more than a nonbinding conversation. As with a Synod, each respective local bishop will determine whether the decisions reached will be implemented.

Official Website

Exit mobile version