Archbishop of Toronto Cardi-nal Francis Leo called on the faithful to honour the most Sacred Heart of Jesus throughout the month of June rather than “using symbols that are contrary to God’s divine revelation.”
“This year the solemnity of the Sacred Heart is commemo-rated on June 27, though the entire month is dedicated to this long-standing and much appreciated devotion in the Church,” Leo said in a statement.
The month of June is a time to reflect on Jesus’ “loving, burn-ing, sacrificial, and life-giving heart,” which Leo called “one of the most profound and enduring symbols in Catholic devotional life.”
For Catholics, symbols “help us to deepen our faith and shape our prayer life, not to mention the lives we lead and the choices we make,” the cardinal said. “They are like bridges joining together the material and spiritual worlds and reveal to us the Gospel truths.”
Leo called on the faithful in Toronto to use symbols this month that “are consistent with our Catholic faith and not borrowed from ideological fora, promoted by lobby groups and endorsed by political movements.”
He said: “We ought to honour and respect our traditions and not compromise the integrity of the faith by using symbols that are contrary to God’s divine revelation.”
“We do good to use our own symbols to tell our own story without resorting to trendy, misguided, and inadequate symbols that do not represent us as Catholics but rather contribute to confusion, distortions, and ambiguities about what the Catholic faith truly teaches regarding the human person, human nature, and natural moral law.”
Church in Mexico supporting families of the ‘disappeared’
No longer relying on the State or police to find their missing loved ones, more than 200 groups of mothers and fathers, known as searchers, now dig with their own hands in vacant lots across Mexico. These families, living in anguish, act on anonymous tips about the locations of clandestine graves. Many such leads come through so-called “Peace Boxes,” installed in parishes throughout the country, where people can submit information anonymously. According to Mexico’s Ministry of the Interior, over 125,000 people have disappeared since 2006.
The Catholic Church, along with other organisations, accompanies these families in their pain and struggle, knowing that most of the disappeared have likely fallen victim to drug cartels or narco-political retaliation. Others may have been caught in the illegal human organ trade, which would explain the high number of young people, including children and infants, among the missing.
In March, national shock followed the discovery in Jalisco State of a site used by criminal groups as both a training ground and an extermination camp, complete with crematory ovens. Hundreds of charred human remains and over 1,800 personal items—including clothing, shoes, backpacks, and notebooks—were recovered at the so-called “Ranch of Horror.” Families were outraged to learn that police had previously dismissed the site’s significance. Mexico’s Episcopal Conference swiftly condemned the crimes as crimes against humanity, calling on authorities to break ties between drug trafficking and political sectors.
Bishop Acero, who in 2024 helped launch peace dialogues in Mexico, meets monthly with groups of searching mothers, creating spaces for empathy, mutual support, and the sharing of new
information.
Peruvian Officials Claim Pope Leo XIV Updated His Peruvian Identity Card
Pope Leo XIV has reportedly updated his Peruvian national identity document (DNI) in the National Registry of Identification and Civil Status (RENIEC) of the South American country. Four Peruvian registrars from RENIEC visited the Pope on May 30th at the Vatican, and took his photograph for the Holy Father’s ID, which was taken that same Friday, the 30th. Robert Prevost Martinez’s previous ID number indicated the address in Chiclayo where he resided as Bishop. The new ID number will indicate the new Vatican address. Robert Prevost acquired Peruvian nationality in 2015 and obtained his first DNI in Lima. He obtained a DNI with a chip in 2016, which does not require renewal due to his age of 69. Peru’s Andina News Agency reported that Pope Leo XIV’s new update is the electronic DNI 3.0, issued by the Peruvian Government on April 15 and costing just over US$10. Pope Leo XIV has dual U.S. and Peruvian nationality. RENIEC officials also recorded the fingerprints and signature of «citizen Robert Prevost,» which would have been automatically entered into the administrative system for Peruvian citizens.
The Head of RENIEC, Carmen Velarde, told the Peruvian press: “What Pope Leo XIV has done confirms his attachment to the country and is also an act of responsibility. It is a message to all Peruvians to keep their national identity cards up to date. I thank the Holy Father for taking the time to update his document.” For her part, President Dina Boluarte emphasized that the granting of a Peruvian passport to Bishop Prevost in 2015 was obtained through the agreement between Peru and the Vatican, which establishes that Bishops in the country must have Peruvian nationality. However, the act was not “a merely formal gesture, but a profoundly spiritual and human one,” given that the new Pope dedicated a large part of his life to serving the country’s poorest. She also recalled that his pastoral work in Peru “sowed hope, walked with the most needy, and shared the joys of the Peruvian people.”
Israel blocks entry of popemobile-turned-ambulance donated by Pope Francis to Gaza
The vehicle, transformed with medical equipment and child-friendly interiors, was a final gesture of solidarity from the late Pope Francis before his death in April 2025. He entrusted it to Caritas Jerusalem with a simple but powerful mission: to reach Gaza’s youngest and most vulnerable–those wounded not only in body, but in spirit. It was once a symbol of joyful encounter. In May 2014, Pope Francis rode through the streets of Bethlehem in a white open-roofed vehicle, waving to crowds in the birthplace of Christ. That very papal car, now retrofitted into a mobile medical unit, was meant to become a lifeline for the children of Gaza. Today, it sits idle outside the border, blocked by war, diplomacy, and despair. The vehicle, transformed with medical equipment and child-friendly interiors, was a final gesture of solidarity from the late Pope Francis before his death in April 2025. He entrusted it to Caritas Jerusalem with a simple but powerful mission: to reach Gaza’s youngest and most vulnerable–those wounded not only in body, but in spirit. But the borders remain sealed. The Rafah crossing from Egypt is shut tight. Israel’s permissions are scarce and slow. The roads into Gaza are bottle-necks of desperation. For now, the papal ambulance has become a ghost of mercy that cannot yet cross into the inferno. “We are still trying to coordinate with au-thorities,” says Harout Bedrossian of Caritas Jerusalem. “But nothing moves. The frontiers are closed, and hope–however persistent–is thinning.”
Brazilian census: Catholic population falls to 57%
The percentage of Brazilians who identi-fy as Catholic fell to 56.75% in 2022, a reduction of 8.4% compared with 2010, according to data from the 2022 demographic census released by the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics. Despite the reduction, Catholicism remains by far the largest religion in the country, followed by evangelicalism and Brazilians who identify as having no religion, whose percentage has grown by 1.4% since 2010, accounting for 9.28% of the population. Evangelicals posted growth of 5.2% during the period, comprising 26.9% of the country’s population of just over 203 million people.
The trend of increasing numbers of people without a religious affiliation was discussed by the bishops during a January meeting in Rio de Janeiro. The archbishop of Porto Alegre and president of the National Conference of Bishops of Brazil, Cardinal Jaime Spengler, referred to this population as “dechurched.” Spengler said “there is an urgent need to invest in initiation into Christian life and the valorization of small communities of faith so that Catholicism can grow in Brazil.” Other religions account for 4.01% of the population. Spiritists represent 1.84%, while followers of Umbanda and Candomblé account for 1.05%.
USCCB Reports Decline in Abuse Allegations Against Catholic Clergy
Since last year, there has been a 32% decline in U.S. child abuse allegations against Catholic cler-gy, according to the 2024 annual report of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ (USCCB) Se-cretariat of Child and Youth Protection. Overall, “902 allega-tions were reported by 855 victims-survivors of child sexual abuse by clergy,” the report said, compared with 1,308 allegations by 1,254 survivors last year.
Covering July 1, 2023, to June 30, 2024, the annual report is based on a survey of 195 U.S. Catholic dioceses and eparchies, drawn from data collected by the Centre for Applied Research in the Apostolate at Georgetown University as well as an audit by StoneBridge Business Partners.
The annual reporting stems from the U.S. bishops’ 2002 creation of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, which established a framework and protocols related to allegations of sexual abuse of minors by Catholic clergy.
StoneBridge also pointed out several cases of noncompliance by jurisdictions and entities that are in violation of the articles established in the 2018 revision of the youth protection charter.
“Measuring charter complia-nce allows each diocese/eparchy to assess strengths and weaknesses and identify programmatic areas requiring improvement, which are critical in our mission of prote-cting our children,” the report said. The report restated the Catholic Church’s commitment “to work to ensure the safety of children and vulnerable adults by performing background checks on clergy, employees, and volun-teers, and providing training on how to identify and report abuse signs.”
“For the U.S. Church and as articulated in the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, this commitment tran-slates into a zero-tolerance policy toward abuse,” the USCCB report reads. Abuse allegations have shown a steady decline since 2020, averaging a 30% decrease annua-lly, according to data accumu-lated over the past five years.
Christians face ‘genocide’ in Nigeria, says bishop after Benue attacks
The Bishop of Makurdi Wilfred Chikpa Anagbe des-cribed the persistent attacks on Christians in his diocese as “genocide.” Speaking after the latest wave of killings by jihadist Fulani herdsmen in Benue State in late May, in which hundreds of Christians died, Bishop Anagbe said: “No nation watches her citizens slaughtered like animals and says there is nothing to be done. It’s genocide.” In May, at least 100 Christians were killed in separate attacks in Gwer West, part of the diocese, and 5,000 people were displaced. Bishop Anagbe told the ACI Africa agency on 4 June that the killings had forced the closure of 17 parishes since 27 May.
“When we talk about 17 parishes being shut, it means an entire community has been displaced and taken over. They cannot go back,” he said.
A statement from the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) expressed “deep anguish of soul” at “the utterly barbaric massacre of innocent civilians in Benue State.” “These cold-blooded attacks on defenceless communities – where countless have been slaughtered, homes destroyed, and families left in anguish – are an affront to God, a stain on our shared humanity, and a terrifying reminder of the utter breakdown of security in our land,” said the statement, signed by the CBCN president Abp Lucius Iwejuru Ugorji of Owerri.
“There is no justification whatsoever for the continuous bloodletting that has become the daily reality of many in Benue State and across Nigeria. The relentless attacks on innocent and defenceless communities under the watch of civil authorities constitute a grave moral and constitutional failure. This carnage must end.”
Tehran Cardinal calls for Iran – Israel talks; “pre-emptive strikes” will not bring peace
It is with regret that we observe in these last few hours, once again, that peace is sought through preventive attacks instead of committing to dialogue around the negotiating table,’ writes Cardinal Dominique Joseph Mathieu, Archbishop of Tehran-Ispahan of the Latins, to AsiaNews.
The prelate’s comments come in the wake of Israel’s night-time attack on Iran and Tehran’s subsequent response. The Jewish state claims to have struck Iranian nuclear sites, as well as leading military and scientific figures, including the head of the Revolutionary Guards, Hossein Salami, as part of Operation Rising Lion. Tehran responded by launching a hundred drones against the Jewish state. ‘We pray,’ the cardinal continued, “that peace through dialogue based on a consensus will prevail. May the Holy Spirit guide this process,” as negotiations in Oman between the United States and Iran for a nuclear agreement appear to be faltering. This morning, in fact, Tehran announced that it will not participate in the sixth round of talks.
Cardinal Mathieu is deeply concerned at this time of great regional and global tension, because the much-feared escalation that risks dragging the entire Middle East into a devastating conflict seems to be materialising.
Speaking of ‘the cross and hope,’ the cardinal emphasised the two distinctive traits of the Christian community in Iran, which had a ‘strong bond’ with Pope Francis, whose death was ‘a profound sorrow’ and which today looks with confidence to his successor, Leo XIV. ‘Among Iranian Catholics,’ he continued, ‘there is great hope, combined with incredible anticipation.’ The current Jubilee Year is also being lived in this perspective, ‘which is why we can say that we are full of hope.’
Cardinal Mathieu recalls the importance of Pope Francis’ pontificate, including in relations with the Muslim world and the Iranian authorities, describing him as the pontiff who ‘opened many doors’ and now ‘the time has come to organise the space behind these doors’.
Tens of thousands make Marian pilgrimage in Vietnam
To celebrate the conclu-sion of the Marian month of May, over 10,000 people from the various parishes and co-mmunities in the diocese of Da Nang–spanning more than 10,000 square kilo-meters – made a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Tra Kieu. According to the Vatican’s Fides news agency, the Marian Shrine commemorates an apparition of the Virgin Mary 140 years ago. Local tradition holds that Mary appeared to console, encourage, and help her children in times of difficulty.
Pilgrims took part in the journey on the Solemnity of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary, which Archbishop Joseph Dang Duc, Coadjutor of the Archdiocese of Hue, described as “an event of love, faith, commitment, and service, an opportunity to profess one’s faith in the face of the challenges of the present time.” Abp Dang Duc described the pilgrimage to the Marian shrine of Tra Kieu as “not only an individual act, but a communal act to renew our vocation and mission, since we are all the people of God and we are all walking together in faith, in love, toward evangelization.” The Diocese of Da Nang has long been considered the cradle of Catholicism in southern Vietnam as it has roots to three Jesuit missionaries who arrived in Hoi An in 1615 to evangelize. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the diocese of Da Nang was one of the main centers of the diocese of Cochinchina in southern Vietnam as a place from where missionaries departed. Vietnam now has their first martyr, Blessed Andrew of Phu Yen, a catechist beatified by Pope St. John Paul II.
Catholic business leaders launch faith-driven executive program in Thailand
Catholic business leaders from Thailand and the Philippines gathered at the Baan Phu Waan Pastoral Training Centre on June 7–8 for the inaugural session of the Catholic Business Wisdom Enhancement Program, a new formation initiative aimed at aligning business leadership with Christian values. Organized by the Catholic Business Executives and Profe-ssionals (CBEP) in Thailand and the Brotherhood of Christian Businessmen and Professionals (BCBP) in the Philippines, the program is part of a broader collaboration under UNIAPAC, the International Christian Union of Business Executives. The network represents over 45,000 executives from 38 countries and promotes faith-driven leadership across global markets. The CBEP Academy is designed as a spiritual and ethical roadmap for business, emphasi-zing discernment, responsible ste-wardship, and the understanding of work as a vocation. In the Philippines, the initiative has already reached more than 20,000 BCBP members.
“Work is not a consequence of sin, it is part of God’s plan,” said Bobby Lavina, chairman of Phinma Foundation Inc., during one of the sessions. He said work is “a noble thing and part of what it means to be human.” He challenged participants to reflect on the moral dimensions of modern business practice. ”What is the greatest challenge in your opinion to make the way business is done now reflect more the face of Christ?” he asked. Joey Avellana, president of Avellana & Associates, echoed this spiritual framing. He said God Himself “is a worker… the first worker.” “Because God created man in His own image, therefore God created man as a worker. We are God’s coworkers. We are God’s co-creators,” he added.
