Analysis: rise in young Catholics attending Mass, survey suggests

With the youth Synod only a few months away, a major new survey of young Catholics in Britain has some startling findings. On the plus side, Complex Catholicism: The Lives and Faith of Young Catholics in England and Wales Today shows a strong increase in regular Mass attendance (at least monthly) from 25% of all respondents in 2009 to 36% in 2017. Irregular Mass attendance (less than monthly) has increased from 59% in 2009 to 75%.

But the survey also includes some unsettling findings about what young Catholics actually believe: well over half do not hold traditional Catholic beliefs on God, many believe that Jesus was only human and not the Son of God, and a large number are willing to ignore the Church’s moral teachings.

The study was conducted by Catholic research group Camino House and Cymfed, the Catholic Youth Ministry Federation, in September and October last year. A total of 1,005 Catholics in England and Wales, aged 15-25, were surveyed online. Just over half were 15-19, and 48% were 20-25; 68% were female and 32% male. Two-thirds of the respondents self-identified as Catholic; the remaining third did not, but came from a Catholic family or had attended a Catholic school. Unsurprisingly, many of these “non-identifiers” still held some Catholic beliefs and attitudes, but were less likely to hold strongly to the Church’s teachings.

The finding that should cause most concern to the Church is that half of the respondents who self-identify as Catholics don’t believe in a personal God. Only 38% hold to the Church’s teaching that God created the world and is involved in what happens to the world now. A further 12% believe. He created the world but is not involved in the world today.

One in five said they believed in a higher spiritual power but not a personal god, one in four said they weren’t sure whether they believed in God or a higher spiritual power and five percent of self-identifying Catholics said they didn’t believe in God or any higher spiritual power.

Philippine church leaders oppose pistol packing priests

Church leaders in the Philippines have criticized proposal to arms priests as a protection measure in the wake of recent attacks on members of the clergy.

Calls have come from several quarters for priests to take advantage of a 2014 law allowing journalists, priests, lawyers, doctors, nurses, accountants, and engineers to carry firearms outside their homes.

The calls come after three recent shooting incidents involving priests.

On June 6, Father Rey Urmeneta, a 64-year-old Catholic priest in Laguna province, survived a gun attack by two assailants.

He was the third priest to have been shot in the past six months.

In April, Father Mark Ventura from Gattaran town in the northern Philippines died after being shot by a lone gunman shortly after celebrating Sunday Mass.

On Dec. 4, 2017, Father Marcelito Paez was also shot dead in the town of Jaen, Nueva Ecija province. The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines, however, expressed strong opposition to the idea of arming priests.

“Arming priests is not a solution to crimes against them,” said Father Jerome Secillano, executive secretary of the Public Affairs Committee of the bishops’ conference.

He said there is no need for priests to arm themselves because, like any ordinary citizen, they are also entitled to protection from the government. “If [priests] antagonize other people, killing them is unnecessarily excessive and brutal,” said Father Secillano, adding that priests should never be considered as “enemies.”

Bishop Arturo Bastes of Sorsogon said priests get their protection from “angels, not weapons.”

“I am for a gun-less society. We priests are not afraid of dangers. If the public, especially the poor, are exposed to dangers, we cannot be less,” said Archbishop Ramon Arguelles of Lipa.

Another priest slaying rocks Philippine Church

Another name was added to a growing Philippine Church casualty list on June 10 when a priest was shot dead as he was about to celebrate Mass in the northern province of Nueva Ecija. Father Richmond Villaflor Nilo of Cabanatuan Diocese was gunned down inside the Nuestra Senora dela Nieve chapel in Zara-goza town. Police said the priest was shot while he was putting on his alb to start the Mass. At least three shots were fired through the chapel’s window.

China plans to remove ‘foreign influence’ from Catholic Church

China has launched a five year plan for the “development” of the Catholic Church, aimed at altering religious principles and practices to coincide with Chinese communist ideals. This plan was approved by the Patriotic Association of Chinese Catholics and the Council of Chinese Bishops, neither of whom is recognised by the Holy See. The goal of this plan is to eliminate “foreign influence” and to ensure governmental control of all religious activities, including a submission of religious leaders to the Communist Party. The groups have not released any specific details, but the five year plan will include “understanding the history of the church” in China, driving theological research, and emphasising evangelism.

Chinese authorities demolish Way of the Cross in Henan

The Way of the Cross at a pilgrimage site in China’s Henan province has been forcibly demolished by authorities in the latest clampdown on religious freedom. Local government officials removed images of Jesus at the well-known Our Lady of Mount Carmel pilgrimage site in Tianjiajing village of Anyang Diocese at 8 pm on June 5.

A source said authorities sent personnel one month ago to tell Bishop Joseph Zhang Yinlin of Anyang that the Way of the Cross must be dismantled, but no specific reason was given.

Nuns living nearby took photographs and videos of the demolition and sent the evidence to chat groups.

A religious source said the Communist Party’s policy appeared to be to “allow Catholicism to exist but not develop.” In 1987, the local government sent troops and armored vehicles to the site after estimating there would be 50,000 pilgrims, the source said.

In 2009, Henan had about 2.4 million Christians, of whom 300,000 were Catholics. By the end of 2011, there were 2,525 Christian churches and 4,002 Christian premises in the province.

41 terrorists arrested over Surabaya church attacks

Jakarta Security Forces have arrested 41 suspected terrorists, linked to a series of bomb attacks in Surabaya, the capital of the province of East Java. Four others were killed during counter terrorist operations, reported local police chief Tito Karnavian last night to local media, adding that the victims had resisted arrest. “After the suicide bombings in Surabaya and Sidoarjo on May 13 and 14, we moved quickly and identified the culprits – he said – A suspected terrorist from Probolinggo (East Java) surrendered to the local police because he could not live in peace, as he was always on the run.” Tito Karnavian also revealed the final toll of the victims of the attacks carried out in Surabaya by two militant families of Jamaah Ansharud Daulah (Jad), a local terrorist group linked to the Islamic State (IS). Attacks on three Christian churches and the local police headquarters have killed 14 civilians and 13 terrorists. Over 40 people were injured.

Hindu leader in Nepal ‘faked assassination attempt’

A self-styled religious leader in Nepal linked to hard-line Hindu nationalists has been accused of faking an attempt on his life by instructing a bodyguard to shoot and wound him. Dinesh Pandit, 25, revered as “Acharya Shree Niwas” by Hindu devotees, was shot on April 8 in the country’s east shortly before he was scheduled to address a mass religious gathering.

Some devotees, seeking to fuel street protests, claimed that it was a premeditated attack by Christians.

The government said it would pay for Acharya’s medical treatment while the main opposition political party called for an upgrading of protection for religious leaders.

Acharya was discharged from hospital after 21 days, but on May 8 police detained him before he could board a flight to India. Subsequently, Acharya was charged with staging his own shooting and attempting to incite communal violence.

The initial investigation carried out by police indicated that Acharya had instructed his bodyguard, Madhav Chaudhary, to shoot him in one arm so that it would look like an assassination attempt. Chaudhary, who was arrested 26 days after the attack, reportedly confessed his role.

The administration office in Morang district remanded Acharya in custody. Some Christians suspect that Acharya’s shooting scam was part of a wider conspiracy to suppress religious freedom and spur attacks on non-Hindus.

BP Khanal, Nepal chapter coordinator of the International Panel of Parliamentarians for Freedom of Religion or Belief, said that despite Nepal being officially secular, the state still encouraged the notion that Nepalis had to be Hindu.

“Religious minorities are often persecuted and attacked,” he said. And in recent years Christians have been victimized over the alleged killing of cattle as well as the distribution of Bibles and conversion of non-Christians. Reverend Joseph Shrestha, chairperson of the Christian Society in Nepal’s Province 7, said that in December 2016 Hindu extremists organized mass protests following the deaths of cows in the Kailali district.

Why missionaries are targeted in India’s northeast

Over 25 years ago a gang of four men took me at gunpoint from a basket-ball court to my school office. They introduced themselves as members of a proscribed organization and made me sit on a chair while they kicked my face.

That was the first attack I encountered on June 14, 1991, in my three decades of working as a Salesian missionary in the north-eastern Indian State of Manipur.

Since then I have been held at gunpoint several times, which is a story quite a few of my confreres working in the field of education can also tell.

Many escape because of sheer luck. At least five have been shot dead in the last 30 years in this this insurgent-infested region where peace seems ever elusive. During the first attack, my abductors wanted me to pay them 400,000 rupees (equivalent to about US$ 11,500 at the time) and give them a video camera and a gun.

As the priest-manager of Don Bosco School, in the State capital of Imphal, I was unable to meet their demands because I had none of those things. And this is something I made very clear to them.

Their reaction was swift and brutal. With a gun in hand, one of them hit me hard on my left cheek. The pain was severe. Later, medical examinations established that the strike had broken my eardrum. The four men then locked me up and made off with the 10,000 rupees (US$280) they found in my office. However, there are about 20 insurgent groups operating in the state and they appear to view Catholic schools as an easy target whenever they want to raise funds to support whatever they are fighting for, which could be for a separate statehood or the goal of establishing ethnic supremacy over other groups. They would spend their time blaming the Catholic schools for a range of imaginary crimes.

Shillong violence: Christian leaders deny communal angle

The leaders of various Churches in north-eastern India have expressed deep pain and anguish at the recent violent incidents that shattered peace in Shillong, capital of Meghalaya State.

Heads of the United Christian Forum and the North East Christian Council met on June 6 in Guwahati to review the situation and seek ways to restore peace and harmony in the city, known as the Scotland of the East.

They met amid attempts by certain section of the media and groups to project the incidents as clashes between Christians and Sikhs in Shillong.

Meghalaya is one of the three Christian-majority states in northeastern India.

The leaders are “concerned at the continued tension that prevails due to fear, mistrust and circulation of fake news,” says a press release issued by Allen Brooks, spokesperson of the Northeast unit of the United Christian Forum.

The Church leaders have requested their people to pray and work for peace. They also appealed to all concerned people to shun violence and “seek the path of dialogue” to find a lasting and peaceful solution to an age-old problem that triggered the latest violence.

The Church leaders also resolved to cooperate and support all efforts at peace building, Brooks told Matters India.

Meanwhile Archbishop Dominic Jala of Shillong too denied that the incidents had any communal color.

“The present disturbed situation in Shillong arose out of an incident that was initially resolved,” the Salesian prelate told Matters India on June 6.

Constitution in danger, human rights trampled: Goa Archbishop

The Indian Constitution is in danger, Goa’s Archbishop Filipe Neri Ferrao has said, adding that a “new trend” of mono-culturalism, which demands uniformity in what and how one eats, dresses, lives and even worships, is putting human rights at risk. In the latest annual pastoral letter to Catholics in Goa, Ferrao also exhorted agencies of the Church in Goa to actively participate in social movements and urged lay Catholics to play an active part in politics.

“At the time of elections, the candidates confuse the minds of many people by making false promises. And the people, on their part, often sell their precious vote for selfish, petty gain. “Today, our Constitution is in danger, (it is a) reason why most of the people live in insecurity,” Ferrao said in his pastoral letter for 2018-19 which was formally released but circulated later. “In this context, particularly as the general elections are fast approaching, we must strive to know our Constitution better and work harder to protect it.”

In the letter, which comes two weeks after Delhi Archbishop Anil Couto warned about an emerging threat to India’s “democratic and secular fabric” Ferrao also alleged that human rights were being trampled in the name of development and mono-culturalism.

“In recent times, we see a new trend emerging in our country, which demands uniformity in what and how we hear, dress, live and even worship: a kind of mono-culturalism. Human rights are under attack and democracy appears to be in peril.

“The various minorities fear for their safety. In short, respect for law is frankly on the decline in this country,” said Ferrao, who is the spiritual and religious leader of Catholics in Goa who account for 26 per cent of the state’s population of 1.5 million.

“People are being uprooted from their land and homes in the name of development. Pope Francis says that ‘the first victim of development is the poor person.’ It is easier to trample upon the rights of the poor, because those who will raise their voice for them are very few.”

Official Website

Exit mobile version