Kerala: Church slams PM Modi’s family planning remark

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s statement during his Independence Day speech that “family planning is a form of patriotism” seems to have irked Kerala’s Catholic Church.

Pro-Life Committee under the Kerala Catholic Bishop’s Council has issued a communique expressing their opposition to PM Modi’s statement. “Not only do they (small households) contribute to the welfare of their family, but also to the good of the nation. People who have played this huge role need to be honoured, and by setting them as examples, we need to inspire the segment of society still not thinking on these lines. We need to worry about population explosion,” the PM had said in his Independence Day speech from Red Fort. KCBC Family Commission secretary Father Paul Madassery in the communique said that the committee observed that the PM’s statement was made with ulterior motives ahead of a case on abortion law coming up for consideration of the Supreme Court by the end of this month.

Interfaith dialogue meet in Kolkata voices concern

The residence of Catholic archbishop in Kolkata hosted an Inter-Faith dialogue meeting on August 18 where people cutting across religious voiced concern over changing pattern of leadership in India.

Archbishop Thomas D’Souza of Calcutta welcomed members of different religious to the brain storming discussion towards evolving a strategy to build peace and harmony in society. The meet that gathered some veteran leaders already engaged in interfaith dialogue took place because of the initiative Satnam Singh Ahluwalia and Imran Zaki, representing Sikhism and Islam. Both said they uphold their belief in the religion of humanity.

Huge decline in religious studies in British Schools

Religious studies has shown a large decline at GCSE, with less than half of secondary schools now offering the subject.

According to a new report conducted by academics at Liver-pool Hope University and backed by Culham St Gabriel’s, a trust that supports excellence in religious education, the numbers of schools participating in GCSE Religious Studies declined over-all across all categories from 2017 to 2018, though Catholic schools had proportionately the smallest decline at 3.1%. Among schools without a religious character, the decline was 18.1%. At the same time, the number of pupils in England and Wales taking GCSE religious studies fell for the third year in a row, down 1.6% against 2018 to 237,862.

Lay Catholics Must Be More Attentive to Financial Abuse

Sexual abuse isn’t the only scandal confronting the Catholic Church. There is a growing recognition that financial abuse is more prevalent than most Catholics think. Look no further than the case of the disgraced former bishop of Wheeling-Charleston, West Virginia: Bishop Michael Joseph Bransfield.

Once a little-known leader in the Church, Bishop Bransfield burst into the spotlight last year. A close associate of the disgraced former cardinal Theodore McCarrick, Bransfield suddenly resigned in a cloud of suspicion. The Vatican ordered an investigation into allegations of abuse and misuse of funds. It found that Bransfield lived like a king, not a bishop – in one of the nation’s poorest dioceses, no less. Bransfield’s tastes were extravagant and his expenditures obscene. They included $4.6 million on a complete home renovation following a small fire in a bathroom; $2.4 million on travel, including luxury hotels and chartered jets; $1,000 a month on alcohol; and daily flower deliveries totaling $182,000, to name a few examples. Whenever anyone raised objections, Bransfield’s response was simple and usually the same: “I own this.”

Tamil Nadu party seeks enumeration of Dalit Christians, Muslims

With pre-testing for Census 2021 currently underway, a political party in Tamil Nadu has called for the enumeration of Christians and Muslims of Dalit origin in the Scheduled Caste list.

D. Ravikumar of Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK, Liberation Panthers Party) has reiterated its demand that Dalit persons belonging to Christian or Muslim faiths be extended reservation in government institutions for education and employment. Not extending reservation to Dalits of all faiths is tantamount to denying their Constitutional rights to practice a religion of their choice, the party said.

VCK chief and Chidambaram MP Thol Thirumavalavan says the caste structure of this religion, which discriminates on the basis of birth, has touched all religions and ruined them. “Thus, which-ever religion one practices, the oppressed are subject to discrimination. Despite people in power being aware of this, they display inequality by not including Dalit Christians in the Scheduled Caste list. This has to change,” he said in a statement.

Party’s general secretary and Villupuram MP D. Ravikumar said the case regarding this demand has been languishing in the Supreme Court for nearly two decades. “The Ranganath Mishra Commission, the Human Rights Commission, the National Minority Commission have all given a favourable recommendation in this regard. But the UPA didn’t implement it,” he pointed out.

Catholics in fear as Chinese authorities ban religious education

Communist authorities in mainland China are exerting a clampdown on Christian activities in the country, spreading fear among some church members about their long-term futures.

Dioceses in China have been receiving constant warnings about a prohibition on summer camps and many local churches have been pressured into giving up all related activities. Some church members worry about the impact this will have on church development.

Some dioceses or parishes have routinely organized camps for students every summer vacation, aiming at cultivating their faith. In recent years, however, the authorities have addressed the issue of religious belief among young people, not only banning minors from entering churches but also forbidding churches from even staging summer camps. Two dioceses had organized summer camps in northern China this year but only one was successfully held, while the other had to be cancelled. A member of this diocese, who we can only name as John, told ucanews.com that the first camp was successfully held because church staff invited church members privately. When the diocese openly promoted the second one, however, the government banned it. John said there was no problem if parishes organized camps privately and only publicized them after the event. “It’s alright if the camp is held privately but once it goes public, it isn’t allowed. It must take place in secret,” he said. Another church member told ucanews.com that a diocese also in China’s north planned to organize a summer class at a big parish, but they moved it to a small parish in a rural village for fear of the authorities finding out about it.

Duterte declares Virgin Mary’s nativity feast a holiday

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has signed a law declaring September 8 of every year, the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Catholic Church, a “national special working holiday.”

The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is one of the oldest Marian solemnities and one of the principal feasts of the liturgical devotion to the Blessed Mother.

A working holiday means that there will be classes in schools, while offices and other establishments will be open.

It is the second Marian feast to be declared a holiday in the Philippines. In 2017, Duterte declared December 8 a special non-working holiday to mark the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. He paid homage to Mary and described her as “selfless” when she accepted the invitation to be Jesus Christ’s mother “so that the plan of salvation be realized.”

The president, who has been a vocal critic of Catholic leaders, called Mary “the epitome of faith and source of inspiration” for many Christians, especially during challenging times.

India declines to speak at UNSC session on minorities

India declined to speak at an informal session of the UN Security Council on safety of minorities in conflict when it was invited to take its turn on Aug. 29th. India was listed as a speaker at the informal consultation, but when Poland’s Foreign Minister Jacek Czaputowicz, who was chairing the session, asked India to speak, the member of the Indian Mission who was present passed up the invitation.

According to the roster of speakers, India was to have followed Pakistan. The Pakistani delegate defended his treatment of minorities that had been criticised by Samuel Brownback, the US Ambassador at Large for International Religious Freedom, Tariq Ahmad, a British Minister of State who is Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Special Envoy for Freedom of Religion, and Canada’s Permanent Representative Marc Andre Blanchard, as well as a Naveed Walter, the President of Human Rights Focus Pakistan, an NGO.

Unlike China and Russia, which in their responses hit back harshly against their Western critics, Pakistan’s rebuttal was mild given that the criticism came from the US and Britain.

Cardinal Bo: Myanmar is ‘a bleeding nation,’ people must seek justice

Cardinal Charles Maung Bo of Yangon said the hopes that came with democracy have not been realized and, instead, the country is wounded and bleeding.

In a 7,000-plus word statement, released on the feast of the Assumption, on August 15, the cardinal expressed deep concerns about the challenges faced by Myanmar’s people, reported ucanews.com.

“Seven years ago, we saw what we thought was the beginning of a new dawn,” Bo said.

“As political prisoners were released, cease-fires were signed, space for civil society and the media relaxed, and a dialogue between political leaders led to the first credible elections in a quarter of a century and the election of a democratic, civilian-led government in 2015,” the cardinal said.

“But in recent years, very dark clouds have appeared again, overshadowing the flickers of light that had begun to emerge. Continuing conflict, continuing abuses, and the spread of religious and racial hatred threaten the hopes, freedoms, and dignity of people throughout the country.” “Myanmar is a wounded nation, a bleeding nation. It still suffers from old wounds, yet new wounds have been inflicted upon us,” the cardinal said.

First bishop ordained since Sino-Vatican deal

The first ordination of a bishop since the 2018 China-Vatican provisional agreement has taken place in Jining Diocese, Inner Mongolia. Fr Anthony Yao Shun, 54, of Jining Diocese was ordained at the Our Lady of Rosary Cathedral in the city of Jining on Aug. 26.

The ceremony was held by Bishop Paul Meng Qinglu of Hohhot, a vice-chairman of the Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association (CCPA), and concelebrated with Bishop Matthias Du Jiang of Bameng in the same region, Bishop Paul Meng Ningyou of Taiyuan in Shanxi province and Bishop Joseph Li Jing of Ningxia in Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region.

An approval letter by the Bishops’ Conference of the Catholic Church in China (BCCCC) was read out during the ceremony, declaring that Bishop Yao had been elected “according to the tradition of bishop election by the Holy Church and the regulation of the BCCCC.”

“After verification   and a valid election, we give an official approval now. This candidate was approved by the Pope,” it continued.

According to the local source, the ceremony was overseen by minimum government security and ran smoothly. More than 120 priests concelebrated with 50 nuns together and more than 1,000 Catholic attended the Mass.

A diocesan priest, who identifies himself as Joseph, noted that their diocese had focused on evangelization and connection with local Catholics.

“God uses bishops as a visible sign to lead us and manage the Church. I think Bishop Yao has plans for how to develop the diocese development,” Father Joseph told ucanews.com.

Official Website

Exit mobile version