Sister Nichole, a member of Missionaries of Charity, died on Ranchi on July 27. She was 61. At least five nuns of the congregation died of Covid-19.
Sister Nichole, who develo-ped mild headache and sleep-lessness, was tested positive and admitted in the Constant Lievens Hospital and Research Centre.
“The nun had been in the forefront to distribute food packets to the poor during the lockdown,” Missionaries of Charity Sister Sebastino, the former regional superior of Ranchi region, told Matters India on July 28.
Her funeral was held on July 27 at the congregation’s burial place in Doranda, near Ranchi, capital of the eastern Indian State of Jharkhand. The nuns in Doranda convent are now under quarantine. She is the third Missionaries of Chari-ty nun and the Indian woman religious to die of Covid-19. Others are:
1. Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Sister Ajaya Mary.
2. Maria Bambina Sister Michael Serrao in Dibrugarh, Assam.
3. Maria Bambina Sister Florence Kurisinkal in Dibru-garh, Assam, on July 21
4. Missionaries of Charity Sister Mukta in West Bengal.
5. Missionaries of Charity Sister Sienna from Jharkhand’s Gumla diocese.