After nearly 40 people were killed in a brutal attack in east-ern Myanmar right before Christmas, Cardinal Charles Bo of Yangon made an appeal to both government and opposition forces to stop the violence and begin pursuing peaceful dialogue.
The killing of at least 38 civilians in Mo So village, in Myanmar’s Hpruso, Kayah (Karenni) State “is a heart-breaking and horrific atrocity which I condemn fully and unreservedly with all my heart,” Bo said in his Dec. 26 message.
He offered prayers for the victims, their families, and the survivors of “unspeakable and despicable act of inhumane bar-barity.”
“The fact that the bodies of those killed, burned, and mutilated were found on Christmas Day makes this appalling tragedy even more poignant and sickening,” he said, noting that as the rest of the world celebrated the birth of Christ with joy, the people of Mo So village suffered death, shock, and destruction.
At least 38 people, including children, were killed late last week in an attack by Myanmar’s military in a region of the country where fighting has escalated between resistance groups and junta forces.
International UK-based humanitarian group Save the Children said two of its workers who were heading home for the holidays following a humanitarian trip to the area are still missing, after their vehicle was targeted in the attack, which took place in the eastern Burmese state of Kayah, also known as Karenni.